JOB ANNOUNCEMENT Research Technician – Agronomy Ref: GSS/42/RD/2013/11
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified Research Technician specialized in Agronomy to be based at AfricaRice, Dar-Es-Salaam. About AfricaRice AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. It is also an autonomous intergovernmental association of African member countries.
The Research Technician – Agronomy will work under the direct supervision of the Systems Agronomist at AfricaRice in Dar-Es-Salaam, Tanzania, or his duly assigned representative. S/he will attend to all activities related to agronomy at AfricaRice. The Research Technician is part of a multi-disciplinary research team working to sustain and improve the productivity of rice-based systems in Africa in line with AfricaRice’s mission and mandate.
She/he will undertake the following functions:
- Establish, manage and monitor rice garden trials in Tanzania;
- Observe and collect data on genotype-specific parameters on rice phenology, spikelet sterility and collect samples for grain quality analysis;
- Establish and manage rice agronomy trials and provide the necessary support for research staff;
- Assist research staff in on-going surveys and technology testing in rice sector development hubs in Tanzania and beyond;
- Analysis of research data and write reports and also undertake any other research work assigned by the supervisor.
Education: BSc degree in Agriculture, Crop Science or equivalent;
Work Experience: Good knowledge of rice agronomy, rice growth stages and phenology is considered as an asset; Willingness to work in the rice fields extensively; Good knowledge of computer database programs.
English and French are the working languages of Africa Rice. For the position advertised,
Strong oral and written communication skills in English are required, while knowledge of Swahili would be considered an important asset.
Terms and Conditions
- This is a locally recruited position.
- Africa Rice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment.
- The initial appointment is for two years with the possibility for renewal.
Candidates should send an application (including a cover letter and a detailed CV with the following information: Name, surname, gender, date of birth, family status, nationality, certificates obtained, professional experience (stating clearly beginning and end dates of each experience: day, month, year), language skills (French/English), and the names and addresses (including telephone / fax / email) of three referees.
To apply for this position, please send your applications: To: J.Anani@cgiar.org with the vacancy reference in subject: GSS/42/RD/2013/11 Or to the following address:
Human Resources Service,
Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice), Mikocheni B/Kawe,
P.O. Box 33581,
Applications will be considered until Sunday, November 17, 2013.
AfricaRice is an equal opportunity employer. AfricaRice believes that staff diversity promotes excellence in its operations and particularly welcomes applications from women and developing countries. AfricaRice thanks all applicants but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. To learn more about AfricaRice, please visit our website at www.AfricaRice.org